Skip to content Skip to navigation

Taking Classes at Other Schools


According to the Concurrent Credit from Another Institution policy, students are generally NOT allowed to take classes at another institution (community college, university) during the academic year (August through May) while enrolled at UC Merced for fall semester or spring semester.

This policy also applies to January term (sometimes called "intersession" or "winter session") classes.

For 2019-20, the academic year is August 28, 2019 - May 15, 2020.

If you take a class at another school during the academic year while you are enrolled at UC Merced, the units for that class may not transfer to UC Merced.



After you have completed at least one semester at UC Merced with good academic standing, you might be eligible to submit an application to take a class through UC Cross-Campus Enrollment (also called UC Online or UC Simultaneous Enrollment) or through the Intersegmental Cross Enrollment Program with Merced College.

If you apply for one of these special programs, you must still be enrolled full-time in 12 or more units at UC Merced while taking one class at the other UC school or at Merced College.

Talk with your Bobcat Advising Center academic well in advance if you are considering applying to take a course in your second semester at another UC or at Merced College.



You are allowed to take SUMMER classes at any institution--UC Merced summer sessions or at another school--without any special permission if the class does not overlap (even by one day) with the academic year at UC Merced.

UC Merced offers summer classes in 4 different sessions.

Starting in Summer 2019, you can now complete an entire minor in psychology by attending two summer sessions at UC Merced.

For courses at California community colleges, use ASSIST to check how those classes transfer to UC Merced.

Use the California Virtual Campus Online Education Initiative to search for summer courses offered online at California community colleges.

If you plan to take a science or math course at another UC or at a CSU, the School of Natural Sciences has a great resource that shows math and science courses that have already been approved for transfer to UC Merced.  Scroll to the bottom of the page at this link.

Talk with your Bobcat Advising Center academic advisor to carefully plan summer classes.  If you take a summer class at another school, send the official transcript to UC Merced as soon as final grades are posted--and before September 1st.