Skip to content Skip to navigation

Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR)

Regardless of your major, all students must satisfy the Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR) by the end of the second semester in your first year.


General notes about this important requirement:

     * ELWR is required at all University of California schools

     * Placement for most first year students is based on the UC Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE)

          * The AWPE is given on the second Saturday in May to seniors at California high schools

          * Talk with your high school counselor if you have questions about the AWPE


If you have not already satisfied ELWR in another way and test into Writing 1 (Academic Writing, 4 units) at UC Merced, take Writing 1 in your first semester.  You must pass Writing 1 with a C or higher to satisfy ELWR.

If you have satisfied ELWR in a different way (through SAT score, AP score, IB score, transferable college English composition course completed during high school, etc.), your official test score or transcript must be received at UC Merced before the July deadline.