At UCM, all students must declare a major before they reach 90 total units.
See a complete list of majors here.
Undeclared students must declare a major before they are allowed to declare a minor.
Minors are not required but are a great option for students with multiple interests.
Students interested in a minor must declare the minor before reaching 90 units.
Minors are offered in some areas in which majors are not available. See a complete list of minors here.
All requirements for your major, minor, and degree must be completed within the maximum terms allowed at UC Merced:
* School of Engineering: maximum 10 semesters (not counting summer session)
* School of Natural Sciences: maximum 9 semesters (not counting summer session)
* School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts: maximum 9 semesters (not counting summer session)
For an undeclared student to declare a major:
1. Complete at least one full semester (fall or spring) at UC Merced and have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher. Some majors will have additional requirements that must be met to declare that major.
* School of Engineering (SOE) major declaration criteria (includes new requirements effective 9/17/20)
* School of Natural Sciences (SNS) major declaration criteria
* School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts (SSHA) major or minor declaration criteria
2. Build a draft graduation plan in MyDegreePath. Connect with your BAC academic advisor if you have questions as you build your plan.
Your draft graduation plan must prove how you can complete your major and all degree requirements within the maximum number of semesters allowed.
Summer session does not count toward the maximum semesters allowed. Taking summer classes could help you stay on track to graduate on time.
3. After you have built a draft graduation plan, submit a Major Change Form online as soon as possible.
For an undeclared student to declare a minor:
1. Declare your major.
2. After you have declared your major, submit a Minor Change Form.
General timeline for major and minor changes to appear on your record
Major and minor change forms submitted September through first week of February:
Forms will be processed by the School and Office of the Registrar with changes reflected on your record by the middle of spring semester.
Major and minor change forms submitted second week of February through August:
Forms will be processed by the School and Office of the Registrar with changes reflected on your record by the middle of fall semester.