UC Merced students are allowed to take summer classes (but not fall or spring classes) at another school.
(The Concurrent Credit from Another Institution policy does not allow students to take fall or spring classes at another school while enrolled at UC Merced.)
Check the exact dates for the summer class at the other school and talk with your BAC advisor if you have questions. Be sure to research the summer registration dates and policies on that school's web site.
Summer classes at another school cannot overlap--even by one day--with spring semester or fall semester at UC Merced.
Check the academic calendar for exact semester dates at UC Merced.
Summer 2023 courses at another school will need to:
Start Saturday, May 13, 2023 or later AND
End by Tuesday, August 15, 2023
Summer 2022 courses at another school had to:
- Start Saturday, May 14, 2022 or later AND
- End by Tuesday, August 16, 2022
To search for online summer classes at California community colleges:
Need help getting started?
Watch video tips from the Bobcat Advising Center on taking summer classes outside UC Merced at a California community college, other UC, CSU, other 2-year or 4-year school. (This video is from Summer 2021.) Learn how to use ASSIST and Transferology to determine how classes transfer to UC Merced.
Some of the resources reviewed in our video are listed below.
To find courses that have already been evaluated for transfer to UC Merced:
- ASSIST: official site to see how California community college classes transfer
- Transferology: shows 4-year courses (other UC, CSU, private college) that have already been evaluated by UCM faculty.
- You must create a free account to use Transferology.
- This is currently the best place to find MATH 5 equivalents.
- School of Natural Sciences (SNS) site: shows MATH, BIO, CHEM, PHYS classes that have already been evaluated by SNS faculty.
- This is currently the best place to find CHEM 1 equivalents.
To request an evaluation of a course that does not appear on ASSIST, Transferology, or the SNS site:
- Contact the professor at the other school and obtain a syllabus for the summer class.
- Submit a Course Approval Form (see below) to the UC Merced faculty for that department.
For summer courses in engineering (ENGR, BIOE, CSE, ME, etc.):
- School of Engineering (SOE) Course Approval Form
- Will take a minimum of 4 weeks after submission for SOE faculty review
For summer courses in math or science (MATH, BIO, CHEM, ESS, PHYS, etc.):
- School of Natural Sciences (SNS) Course Approval Form
- Forms submitted by March 15th will receive a decision from SNS faculty in mid-April
- Forms submitted March 16th or later will be reviewed by SNS faculty during July
For summer courses in social science or arts and humanities (ANTH, ECON, HIST, MBE, POLI, PSY, PUBH, SOC, etc.):
- School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts (SSHA) Course Approval Form
- Will take a minimum of 12 weeks after submission for SSHA faculty review