All students in every major must satisfy the General Education (GE) requirements to earn a degree at UC Merced.
GE courses are great choices to take in the first semester of your first year. All first year students (freshmen) in every major who enter UC Merced in Fall 2018 or later are under the same GE pattern. Courses you complete toward GE in your first year will count toward graduation even if you later change your major.
All courses used for GE must be passed with a C- or higher.
The GE Spark Seminar must be finished by the end of the second semester in your first year.
A complete list of General Education (GE) requirements for first year students entering UC Merced in Fall 2018 or later can be found here. A course can count toward both your major and GE.
First year students usually focus on completing these parts of the GE requirements:
* GE Spark Seminar (must be completed by end of second semester in first year)
* GE Approaches to Knowledge courses
* GE Intellectual Experience Badges (can be completed with courses or co-curricular experiences)
* GE Language (foreign language or computer programming language; may be satisfied during high school)
* GE ePortfolio (will receive link to set up early in your first semester)
Your Bobcat Advising Center advisor will talk with you about GE requirements in appointments during your first year (after you arrive on campus for fall semester).