Skip to content

First Semester: Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR)


The University of California Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR) is a reading and writing proficiency requirement intended to ensure that first year admits (freshman admits) at every UC campus have the writing skills necessary to succeed in lower division university-level courses.



All University of California schools require first years (freshman admits) to complete the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR) by the end of their second semester at the UC school.

Fall 2024 admits must satisfy ELWR by the end of Spring 2025.


How to satisfy ELWR before you arrive at UC Merced:

  • Take the UC Merced Writing Readiness Review.  This tool helps you engage in a reflective process to determine your placement in a writing course (either WRI 001 or WRI 010).    


  • See this link for other ways to satisfy ELWR.


If you have satisfied ELWR in another way, your official college transcript or official AP/IB exam score must be received at UC Merced by July 1.


  • Send transcripts to UC Merced, 5200 Lake Road, Merced, CA  95343-5603




If you tested into Writing 001, enroll in this course in your FIRST SEMESTER at UC Merced.

You must earn a C or higher in Writing 001 to satisfy ELWR.

  • After you pass Writing 001 with a C or higher, you will satisfy ELWR and move on to Writing 010.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  If you have not satisfied ELWR before you start your first semester at UC Merced, the only way to complete ELWR is to pass Writing 001 at UC Merced with a C or higher by the end of your second semester.

* You are NOT allowed to take an English composition course at another school (community college or 4-year school) to satisfy ELWR after you begin at UC Merced. *

Talk to your BAC academic advisor if you have questions about this important requirement--and plan to complete Writing 001 in your first semester if you need to satisfy ELWR.



If you have an AP exam score, IB exam score, SAT writing score, or transferable college composition class that satisfies ELWR, send the official score report or transcript to UC Merced by the July deadline. 

Did you complete a college English composition class during high school?  Use ASSIST to see how English classes at a California community college transfer to UC Merced.

Tell your Bobcat Advising Center academic advisor if you think you have already taken a college English composition class at a 2-year or 4-year college that might count as Writing 001 or Writing 010.

Do not waste your time repeating a course that you have already completed!



If you graduated from high school in another state or country, your English composition placement will be determined by taking the Writing Readiness Review.

You could also submit an official AP or IB test score or an official college transcript for a transferable college English composition class before the July deadline.