Thinking about attending UC Merced? If so, we hope you join us!
Attend a group event or meet individually with a UC Merced Regional Admissions Advisor for help during the admissions process
Attend Admissions webinars, workshops, virtual college fairs, or school visits in Fall 2020
View recorded webinars from Virtual Bobcat Day in April 2020
ADMITTED STUDENTS & PARENTS OR FAMILY MEMBERS
Wondering what your next steps might be after admission to UC Merced?
Or hope to connect with campus through social media, text messaging, or the Parent Newsletter?
- See the Fall 2020 Admitted Student Next Steps Checklist.
- Review the Fall 2020 Conditions of Admission for First Year Students.
- Check important dates and deadlines for admitted students.
- Join us for an admitted student virtual event or webinar.
Review the Computer Purchase Recommendations for students in every major.
If you plan to do an engineering major, see the School of Engineering Student Laptop Policy.
UC ENTRY LEVEL WRITING REQUIREMENT (ELWR)
All University of California schools require first year (freshman) students to complete the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR) by the end of their second semester at the UC school.
- Ways to satisfy ELWR can be found at this link.
If you have not satisfied ELWR before April 1st of your senior year in high school, take the UC Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE) on the second Saturday in May. This English composition placement exam is given to all California high school seniors admitted to a UC school.
- UC Merced does not offer a makeup exam for the AWPE.
- Take the AWPE on the second Saturday in May.
- Talk to your high school counselor if you have questions about the AWPE.
Your AWPE score will place you into Writing 1 (WRI 1, Academic Writing, 4 units) or Writing 10 (WRI 10, College Reading & Composition, 4 units).
If you are a fall semester admit who took a California community college course during high school that is the equivalent of Writing 1 (check the ASSIST site for transferability), have the official college transcript sent to UC Merced before July 1.
If you are a fall semester admit who earned an AP English exam score that satisfies Writing 1, have College Board send the official AP exam score to UC Merced before July 1.
If you do not take the AWPE and have not satisfied ELWR before your first semester at UC Merced, you will take Writing 1 in your first semester and must earn a grade of C or higher to satisfy ELWR.
REGISTRATION FOR FALL 2020 CLASSES FOR FALL 2020 FIRST YEAR ADMITS
To help you get ready for Fall 2020 registration:
- Read your UC Merced email regularly after you submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).
- Take the UC Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE) on the second Saturday in May.
- Take the math placement exam online (required for first years in al majors) before June 1, 2020.
- Take the chemistry placement exam online (required for all science majors, engineering majors, pre-health students) before June 1, 2020.
- Take the computer science & engineering (CSE) placement exam online (required for all CSE majors and all Applied Math--CSE emphasis majors) before June 1, 2020.
- Send official copies of your AP exam scores, IB exam scores, and transcripts of college courses taken in high school to UC Merced before July 1, 2020.
- Review the Registration section on our Bobcat Advising Center site.
UC MERCED EMAIL
After you establish your UC Merced email account:
- Use only your UC Merced email to contact academic advisors, professors, or staff in different offices on campus.
- Include your first and last name and UC Merced ID number in any messages.
- Using your UC Merced email and including your student ID number will help all offices at UC Merced respond to you as quickly as possible.
To access your UC Merced email, log on to your student portal at my.ucmerced.edu and click the mail icon in the upper left corner.