To have the best opportunity to be academically successful, the Bobcat Advising Center recommends that you finalize your classes and make any necessary changes in your schedule by no later than the 5th day of the semester.
To view the exact add and drop deadlines each semester, click here.
Deadlines to add and drop are based on the first day of classes in that semester--and may be in the middle of a week.
TO ADD AFTER THE SEMESTER HAS STARTED:
THROUGH FIRST WEEK OF SEMESTER
Add open seats online. Registration is open 24 hours/day and 7 days/week.
In Spring 2024, the deadline to add a class online is Monday, January 22.
Waitlists for closed classes are available only through the 5th day of classes.
In Spring 2024, waitlists for closed classes are available through Monday, January 22.
SECOND OR THIRD WEEK OF SEMESTER
(NOT AUTOMATICALLY APPROVED)
If a class has open seats and you have met all prerequisites for the class, you may ask a professor if they would allow you to join their class late (between the 6th - 15th day of the semester).
1. Check the prerequisites and restrictions for the class: click on the course title in the Schedule of Classes (open course list).
2. If you have met the prerequisites for the course, fill out the online Late Course Add Form (Requisite Met). The form will be routed to the professor for that class.
- When considering your late request, the professor is not required to check the number of open seats or whether you have met all prerequisites.
- It is your responsibility to check that you have met all prerequisites or restrictions and that there are open seats.
IMPORTANT: professors are NOT required to allow you to add (even if seats are open) if the professor believes you have already missed too many lectures, assignments, discussions, or too much work in the class.
Best practice: finalize your classes by no later than the 5th day of the semester and remain enrolled full-time (12 units or more) at all times, especially if you receive financial aid.
3. The professor will approve or deny your request. You will receive an email after the professor reviews your request.
4. If your request was approved, you have met all prerequisites, and there is an open seat in the class: go online and register for the class before the 15th day deadline.
In Spring 2024, the deadline to late add a class after receiving professor approval is Monday, February 5.
AFTER THE THIRD WEEK
A petition to late add an open class after the three-week deadline is a request for an exception to university policy.
These petitions are carefully reviewed by the Dean and are not automatically approved.
Petitioning to late add requires a Petition of Academic Policy, a PDF of a Late Add form signed by the professor, a personal statement, and more. Talk with your Bobcat Advising Center academic advisor before submitting a Petition of Academic Policy.