Skip to content

Full-Time Status

Students at UC Merced are expected to enroll full-time (12 units or more) each semester during their assigned registration time.

Full-time status is required if you receive financial aid or veterans' benefits.

Full-time status is also required for intercollegiate student-athletes, international students on F-1 (or F-2, J-1, J-2) visas, and even some forms of car insurance.


You will need to take more than 12 units in some semesters to be on track to graduate in four years.

Most students take 14-16 units each semester.

You should plan to complete at least 30 units each year to meet normal progress to degree at UC Merced.

Talk with your BAC advisor if you have questions about the number of units you should take each semester.